The Archives - Past Boxes
"In Pursuit of Magic"
The July box includes Scarlet Odyssey by C.T. Rwizi, a hardcover with a beautifully designed naked cover - great for photos if you're an Instagrammer!
We wanted to switch things up a little this month with a sampling of coffee. JavAroma Roasters freshly roasted the coffee in this box. Ethiopian and Morning Jolt sampler coffees accompany the two packets of cold brew! Each cold brew packet makes about 7 cups of coffee. So whether you're looking for something hot or iced, we have you covered!
Tea drinkers, gear up for a magical treat with this month's Creme Brulee Flowering Tea, by Pinky Up! Flowering tea, or blooming tea, is made by wrapping tea leaves around dry flowers. When the resulting dry bundle is steeped, it unfurls to create a beautiful flower while infusing the water with delicate but flavorful tea. This seemed like a beautiful, fun way to incorporate the magical theme.
Last but not least, Black Jack Coffee Scrub is this month's bonus item. Made by Southern Rhoades Apothecary, this item looks like it's straight off the shelf of a warlock, and will leave your skin feeling fresh and revitalized.
"From the Ashes"
This month we celebrated our subscription box’s 1 year anniversary!
The idea for this box came years after starting a book blog to support new and independent authors. We’re excited to feature independent, USA Today & Wall Street Journal Bestselling author, Shannon Mayer, in this box. Her book Fury of a Phoenix, is best described as a magical, John Wick type book with a female assassin who refuses to back down.
The proverb on this month’s bag of coffee, “One who listens carefully hits his target” pairs perfectly with a book featuring a magical assassin! A medium roast by Civilized Coffee, this month’s brew will have notes of brown sugar, citrus and caramel. Civilized Coffee sources their coffee beans directly from small-scale farmers, before roasting them in small batches, ensuring fair wages are paid to farmers, and high quality coffee is delivered to customers.
Chai is Shannon Mayer’s tea of choice, and Apolis Tea crafts this incredible, fragrant blend of Nirvana Chai Tea! It’s a nice, smooth chai with black tea and vanilla, and is excellent as a latte, or over ice!
While things catch fire in Fury of a Phoenix, cool down and stay hydrated with this custom Be A Warrior stainless steel water bottle. It uses vacuum technology to keep your drinks hot or cold for hours!
(Photo Credit: @read.and.wander)
We've curated the May box to be a little extra fun, and take readers on a literary adventure through 3 very different paperbacks! The fantasy books include: An Illusion of Thieves by Cate Glass (a fantasy adventure); They Promised Me The Gun Wasn't Loaded by James Alan Gardner (superhero fantasy); and Priest of Bones by Peter McLean (dark fantasy). We hope you enjoy the variety!
Tea Drops made the really unique and fun Vanilla White Tea. High in antioxidants, but low in caffeine, this tea is calming and can be enjoyed anytime especially as an after meal tea. This packaging is also super fun, and seemed to fit in a quirky way with the bright cover of They Promised Me The Gun Wasn't Loaded. Tea drops have been such a huge hit with our customers, that we've decided to stock them. Be sure to check out our coffee & tea section to view all of the fun flavors!
Grab your favorite mug, and read into the night with a cup of Midnight Glare. Founded in our businesses home state of Virginia, we’re really excited to include Dan River Coffee Co. in the May box.
Take your literary adventure back in time, have some fun, and stay busy with the bonus item. It’s a Pandora's Elpis puzzle made by Project Genius. The Elpis was the last item in Pandora’s Box, and in mythology, the symbol of hope. A running theme in each of these books, and something we can all use a little more of these days.
"Scribes & Scholars"
(Photo Credit: @Read.And.Wander)
Our April box featured a hardcover edition of Turning Darkness Into Light, by Marie Brennan.
With tasting notes of plum, fresh walnut, and vanilla, this April’s coffee was roasted to a medium level, by Think Coffee in NYC. Their company name perfectly fit the Scribes & Scholars theme, and we love that this company gives back to each community from which they source!
Have some fun with this month’s bonus item, a Fountain Pen and Journal Set designed by Ooly. This company dreams up all kinds of fun and creative products for adults and kids alike. Practice your penmanship, journal about your day, or write to friends and family! These pens are also re-fillable, so you can get quite a bit of life out of them.
"Risks Are Worth Taking"
In the book world, nothing says taking a risk more than independently publishing your very first novel. We’re proud to feature epic fantasy, Souls of Magic’s Dawn by G.A. Lungaro. Destiny, prophesy, and anarchy unfold in this new series.
Recover from the chilly winter with this Passionfruit Jasmine Tea, from Art of Tea. This blend is quite unique; wonderful hot and iced. It’s has also won the award for the best flavored black iced tea at the world tea expo! There is 4oz of tea this month, so you have a little extra with which to experiment!
Coffee drinkers: you also get to try new things! Included are 3 different coffees, the makers of which have all taken a risk and tried something unique! Caribbrew Coffee has partnered with small farmers in Haiti to sustainable jobs to areas impacted by natural disasters. Copper Cow has created really unique and delicious pour-over coffees. We have included the classic Vietnamese pour-over so you can try something new! Finally, we’ve partnered with Cooper’s Cask Coffee so you can try this distinctive “Battle Cry” Rye Whisky Barrel Aged coffee.
Step out of your comfort zone and try a new drink this month! A clear mug, with recipe cards are this month’s bonus items. Use the clear mug to see clearly if you’ve nailed the layers of these delicious drinks. You may be surprised by what you find!
"Beasts & Blades"
In this box, we’re reading Kevin J. Anderson, author of the internationally acclaimed Dune series.
- Spine of the Dragon will whisk you on an epic journey filled with political drama, revenge, and incredible creatures. An age-old conflict between the Three Kingdoms and Ishara erupts in a thrilling battle that unites enemy forces. Star Wars fans will enjoy Anderson’s emphasis on balancing fantasy with human drama. His artful storytelling breathes life into this genre.
-Fable Grounds Coffee single origin beans complement the strength of Isharan warriors. Harvested from Columbia, the Book Dragon blend yields wonderful caramel and nutty tones.
- This month’s tea is a spicy-sweet blend that will chase away the cold. Brew a cup of Golden Dragon Pearl blooming tea and wrap up in the rich aroma of chocolate, pepper, honey, fig, and notes of molasses. Made by Octavia Tea Company.
-Insight Editions created the gorgeous “You’re a Dragon” candle modeled after dragon scales for a dash of mythic ambiance.
- As a bonus, invoke your literary warrior with a double sided, handmade sword bookmark!
"Lore & Lies"
This box featured a paperback that artfully combines lore, curses, and mythical creatures, with a Viking vibe.
Each item, including the coffee and tea, was be selected to match the theme, or one of the creatures from the book. (photo by rq_davis)
This box included:
- The First Girl Child by Amy Harmon (paperback)
- Wake Up blend whole bean coffee by Wolf Coffee
- Golden Summit, Loose Leaf tea by Beach House Teas
- Two ceramic coasters by Lantern Press, inspired by the book’s map
- Vegan Sour Viking Gummies by Candy People USA
"Crazy, Magical Mayhem"
December's box featured a signed copy of Born in Fire by K.F. Breene. The author added a few fun goodies to go along with it!
The tea edition was from Pinky Up Tea, in a Cranberry Bar flavor for the holiday season - complete with white chocolate pieces in the mix! We also featured Tentera Coffee's organic ground Sumatra in the coffee boxes.
(Photo by @beckys_bookshelf_)
"Into Dark Nights"
The Into Dark Nights theme was inspired by nighttime castles.
This box celebrates the long nights and change in seasons through fall and winter!
-The Witchwood Crown, by Tad Williams, was the featured book.
Other famous fantasy authors, including George R. R. Martin and Christopher Paolini, were inspired by Tad, and even reviewed this book. We hope that as you curl up into your favorite reading spot this fall, this book will take you far away, to new and exciting lands.
- Bonus Item: Journals with a water resistant outside. Velvety smooth to the touch, with a beautiful foil detail. They are unlined, so you can use for notes and sketches.
- Coffee: Keep sleepiness at bay with this Colombian blend coffee. Freshly roasted by Copper Moon Coffee, it is a light medium roast. This coffee is slightly sweet, with a full bodied finish.
- Tea: The featured tea this month is Edgar Allen Poe’s black tea blend, crafted by Simpson Vail Tea. It has a slightly smoky, earthy, flavor. The color is really nice deep red, reminiscent of the dark tales of entries and macabre by Edgar Allen Poe himself. (Photo by _Bookwormed)
"Crowns & Flames"
This box was curated with Halloween in mind!
- The book was The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons - the next book in the series came out at the end of October!
- October's coffee was whole bean, and freshly roasted by Red Rooster Coffee Roaster. The raven on the bag seemed so fitting for October’s box!
- The tea was crafted by Swallowtail Tea - the sister Company to red rooster located in Virginia. It’s called Firetower tea, which fit the “flames” part of the theme so well!
- Speaking of flames, the bonus item this month was reminiscent of dragon fire! Included in this box were small bars of salted sriracha chocolate (both milk and dark). Plus, chocolates seemed fitting with Halloween coming up!
"Fierce and Mythical"
- Featured book: In the Region of the Summer Stars
"Ravaged by barbarian Scálda forces, the last hope for Eirlandia lies with the island’s warring tribes. Wrongly cast from his tribe, Conor, the firstborn son of a Celtic king, embarks on a dangerous mission to prove his innocence. What he discovers will change Eirlandia forever. For the Scálda have captured the mystical Fae to use as an ultimate weapon. And Conor’s own people have joined in the invasion."
- Featured teas from Loose Leaf Tea Company
• Black Summer (‘A wonderful orange pekoe blend with a bit of sweet and tart.’ Includes elderberry, organic raisin pieces, & hibiscus petals.)
This one has been my favorite this month
• Irish Breakfast tea chest (‘A stout robust blend of February Kenya and Assam. Superb colour and very full bodied. Excellent in the morning and afternoon.’)
They also included biodegradable filter tea bags!
- Featured Coffee: Highlands Blend by Vienna Coffee Company
This coffee has remained one of our absolute favorites! It has a natural sweetness that gives this blend a delightful flavor.
- Featured bonus item: A GORGEOUS Celtic inspired book sleeve made by CreatedByRaeMn. We love her handmade book sleeves, and this one is so special because it was made exclusively for this box!
Our "Forest Magic" book box was centered around the featured book: The Bedlam Stacks by Natasha Pulley.
Synopsis Excerpt: Surrounded by local stories of lost time, cursed woods, and living rock, Merrick must separate truth from fairytale and find out what befell the last expeditions.
- The featured tea in this box is Left Coast Tropic, crafted by Beach House Teas. Left Coast Tropic is 100% organic loose leaf tea blended with both organic Assam tea and green tea. Tropic vibes are brought in from organic thick cut coconut and locally harvested Pineapple Sage.
- Coffee in this box was from Badger Bro's Coffee. Refuel with this medium roast coffee! The smooth and satisfying flavor and aroma of the "Refuel" blend is sure to give you that pick me up you need!
There are two bonus items in this box!
- This first is a scoop clip by Talisman Designs, featuring an adorable hedgehog.
- The second is a hedgehog spoon rest, which is also a great size for tea strainers.
Event Box for "The Girl the Sea Gave Back"
Featuring the book: The Girl the Sea Gave Back, by Adrienne Young
This box makes a really wonderful gift! Every item was selected to match the blue ocean theme of this box.
- The Coffee: Cafe Femenino, from Peru.
- The Tea: Truth Spell, by Par Avion Tea
This box also included two bonus items pertaining to the theme: Sea Salt Caramels, and a custom magnetic bookmark!
"Hope In Chaos"
This was our first time featuring a new release!
There Will Come a Darkness was the book featured in this box; it’s been compared to Six of Crows and Graceling.
This coffee was freshly roasted by Pintail Coffee NY (and has become a rep favorite!). The coffee is yummy, and the packaging just fit the theme so well, we couldn’t resist! Plus, the have a wonderful give-back program.
Tea this month was from @shopcallmesweetea - it’s a blend that she made just for this box! She just had her grand opening, and we’re so excited to have been able to work with her to place an order and help her small shop open!
This month’s bonus item was a mug we designed and had custom made for the box. It’s an 11oz ceramic mug that says: “I’m not a bookworm, I’m a book dragon”. It's dishwasher safe, though we recommend hand washing so the print lasts a little bit longer.
"Hope In Chaos"
Our very first box!
Our June book box features The Lost Queen by Signe Pike. This epic fantasy will take you on an adventure to a lost landscape.
This months tea was a delicious caffeine free blend for the summer, by Cup & Kettle Tea. Titled Lemon Honeybush, the ingredients originate from South Africa, and the United States. It has a sweet, juicy, and clean flavor. •
The coffee in this box was from Java Roma Roasters, it included 4 different blends: Blackout (dark roast), Morning Jolt (breakfast blend), Stomping Grounds (Dark Roast) and Guatemala (Medium Roast). There are 4, 2 ounce packets, so you can try them all and pick a favorite!
This months bonus item was inspired by the love of libraries! It's a personal library kit by Knock Knock.
Use it to lend out your personal books, or as a way of keeping track of how many times you've read your favorites! 😍There was a bonus bookmark that just matched the insignia on the cover of the book so well, that we couldn't resist adding it in!
Photo credit to @librarianofazkaban for the stunning coffee box pic!